..::drew’s blomblog::..

Bound for the floor pt. 1
June 30, 2008, 3:52 am
Filed under: Family | Tags: ,

This is what I did today.  Liz and I pulled up the carpet a while ago and found more red oak.  Yay!  After using a MASSIVE floor sander, I think I even popped a few new chest hairs, if that were possible.  I’m feeling all Norm Abram.  I’m ready for my plaid shirt and prescription safety glasses.



That looks pretty darn good in the pictures. Make sure you get up every spic of dust before you put a finish on or you will be sanding again. I would recommend a fast drying water based polyurethane. The fast dry time of about an hour will allow you to do multiple coats in a day. Also, when it dries fast dust will have less time to settle on the tacky floor. Make sure what ever you use is designed for floors. Have fun and keep up the good work.
The Handyguys

Comment by The Handyguys

Thanks Handyguys!

I picked up a bucket of Varathane Semi-gloss for the finish. It’s got about a 4-hour drying time and it’s oil-based, but I’m trying to match the rest of the house and I think it was a higher-quality product. Any recommendations with oil-based?

Welp, gotta get cleaning. I’ll post more picks when it’s done.

Comment by D!

Oil is the better quality product and it has a warmer look to it. Varathane has a good reputation. Depending on humidity and temp it could be longer than 4 hours. Some oil based urethane can take 24 hours to dry. Don’t use a fan to accelerate the drying it will just add dust. If you do get dust you may need to just do a very light sanding between coats (May be default instructions on the can). The room looks relatively small so do it by hand, no machines.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Comment by The Handyguys

Good stuff. Thanks for the pointers. I wiped down the walls with a wet rag to eliminate that threat of dust and wiped the floor down with mineral spirits. I would have put a fan in there if you hadn’t said that. Thanks for the tip. I’ll let you know how the rest of it goes tomorrow.

Comment by D!

Alright. So the four-hour dry time is killing me. I had a relatively good second coat done last night, but the third coat this morning looks like poop. Lots o’ dust. I’ve got a small palm sander and some 220 grit. I’m going to give it a once-over before I lay down a voluntary 4th coat. Then I’m leaving the house to make sure I don’t stir up any more dust. Yeesh.

Comment by D!

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: